Friday, May 7, 2010

L.T., Roethlisberger have become big-time losers off the field

Went to the mail box yesterday to retrieve my Sports Illustrated and saw that the cover story was about scraggly Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his out-of-control life. Then, came back in to the house, signed onto my computer and was greeted by the lead story that legendary New York Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor had been charged with rape.
So much for sports being an escape, huh?
***
I was happy to see that Tim Tebow and Donovan McNabb had the top-selling jerseys in the NFL. I’m sure that many of those Tebow Broncos jerseys were purchased by rabid Florida fans who supported him so devotedly during his stellar college career with the Gators. And McNabb’s jersey is being gobbled up by the fans of his new team, the Washington Redskins. Still, it’s nice to see two good guys rather than outlaws top the list for a change.
I know I’m in the minority, but I still think Tebow is going to be a success in the NFL, and I would have taken my chances on him over the three guys the Bills have at QB. I think he has some intangibles that you look for in a quarterback and that you can’t teach.
***
It’s always interesting to me how so many people dislike Tebow merely because they perceive him as a goody, two-shoes. I believe, given all the bad role models in sports, we should be celebrating rather than denigrating guys like Tebow and McNabb, but that’s just me.
***
Speaking of good guys who have unjustly felt the fans wrath, Greg Paulus, the former Duke point guard and Syracuse quarterback is getting a tryout with the New Orleans Saints this weekend. Yes, he’s a long, long shot, but I’d definitely sign him to my development squad and see if he can regain the form that made him a high school All-America at Syracuse’s Christian Brothers Academy.
***
I really enjoyed last week’s SI story on the Yankees “Core Fore’’ – Derek Jeter, Jore Posada, Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera. We won’t see their likes again in this mercenary era of free agency in professional sports.
***
If these Yankees-Red Sox games last any longer, they’re going to have to move them from ESPN to C-Span, where filibusters are common place.
***
Friend and baseball broadcast historian Curt Smith ranks Ernie Harwell No. 3 on his all-time broadcasters’ list, behind No. 1 Vince Scully and runner-up Mel Allen. I would agree.
***
I’ll be emceeing the annual sports and scholarship banquet for the local chapter of the Syracuse University Alumni club next Tuesday night at the Burgandy Basin Inn. Assistant head football coach Bobby Casullo and radio voice of the Orange, Matt Park, will be the featured guests. Tickets ($30) are still available and can be purchased by contacting George Criticos at 585-337-0146 or gcritic2@rochester.rr.com.
***
I’m also looking forward to the next day, when I’ll be closing out my term as president of the Rochester Press-Radio Club at our Day of Champions Children’s Charities banquet, featuring Saints Super Bowl MVP quarterback Drew Brees. He fits perfectly into our mission as an organization, combining sports excellence and community service. The Brees Foundation has raised nearly $5 million to help with the reconstruction of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. And, knowing Brees’ commitment to the Bayou, I’m sure he’s going to be equally involved as folks down there deal with the devastation of ongoing oil spill that threatens to wipe out their seafood industry.

No comments: