Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Opining on the Bills QB woes, SU and the Big Ten and Robbie Cano

The most disappointing news from the Bills recent draft was that they really believe a quarterback will emerge from the trio of Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

I much rather would have taken my chances on Jimmy Clausen or Colt McCoy - each of whom was available in the second round - than pin my hopes on two guys who have shown they are nothing more than backups (Edwards and Fitzpatrick) and another guy who was cut from the Green Bay Packers practice squad (Brohm).

New Bills coach Chan Gailey has a reputation for being an innovative offensive coach, but to turn one of these three into a playoff-caliber quarterback will require him to be a miracle worker.

***

There are strong rumors that Syracuse, Rutgers and Pitt are candidates to bolt the Big East for the Big Ten. I'd hate to see that happen because it would spell the end of the Big East. The football revenues the Cuse would accrue from joining the Big Ten would be an offer they couldn't refuse. And we all know that big-time college sports is all about money. I still wish Penn State, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers and West Virginia would get together and form a true Big East football conference, but, sadly, that's not going to happen.

***

By the way, when is the Big Ten (which currently has 11 members) going to stop practicing its funny math. Heck, by the time the realignment is done, it could be the Big 20 or the Big 25. Yes, I know there's branding value to the name, but it no longer works.

***

I'm thinking this is the year Robinson Cano wins the American League batting title. I just love watching that guy hit. As is the case with Joe Mauer, he seems so relaxed at the plate and his swing is so effortless, with no wasted motion. He just drives the ball where it's pitched.

***

I'm happy to see former Rochester Red Wing Francisco Liriano off to a 3-0 start. He's still the best pitcher I've seen come through Rochester in my 26 years of covering the team, and it appears that he's back to the dominating form he showed before injuring his arm. I do worry, though, about him remaining healthy because he puts so much torque on his arm in order to deliver those nasty pitches.

***

Good thing the NHL-operated Phoenix Coyotes were eliminated last night. If they had continued on and won it all, commissioner Gary Bettman would have had to present the Stanley Cup to himself.

***

Bill Madden's new book, George Steinbrenner: The Last Lion in Baseball, reportedly claims that The Boss had an affair with Barbara Walters. I'll let you fill in the punchlines.

***

Don't know about you, but I was ready to toss a shoe at the television while listening to those arrogant cusses from Goldman Sachs tell us they had no regrets about knowingly screwing people and contributing to our economic turmoil. Ah, just another great day for the captains of industy and capitalism.

***

PERSONAL MATTERS: Sorry, if I sound a little like late Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto here, but I want to pass along birthday greetings to two of my good friends, Frank Bilovsky and Matt Michael. Frank was my long-time colleague at the Democrat & Chronicle and remains not only a good buddy, but a great mentor. The guy is a walking encyclopedia and has a heart the size of old Veterans Stadium in Philly, where Frank's from. Matt was a long-time sportswriter for the Post-Standard in Syracuse, who, like moi, left the newspaper biz and is currently doing freelance writing. Like Frank, Matt is a class act, a kind-hearted soul who literally would give you the shirt off his back.

I'd also like to thank another class act, Joe Altobelli, for joining Jim Mandelaro and me at our booksigning Friday night. It was a rousing success as Alto entertained the crowd of about 30 with tales from his nearly six-decades in professional baseball.

And, finally, congratulations to my Rome paisan, Joe Peluso, and his wife, Sherri, who celebrated their 25th anniversary yesterday. Salut!

1 comment:

Frank Bilovsky said...

Scott,

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Your comment on Liriano nay not have much impact for people who started watching the Wings during the late Oriole years. But lest folks forget, you also saw Curt Schilling and Mike Mussina pass through here. And both of them have at least marginal Hall of Fame crendentials. That makes your statment about Liriano that much more powerful. BTW, if Liriano is all the way back, the Twins can makes their post-season plans right now.