Friday, November 26, 2010

Opining on Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jeter and Syracuse football & hoops


I like what I’m seeing from Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I still would like to let these final six games play out before I make any decisions about his future and whether I should take a quarterback in next April’s draft. Should Fitz engineer an upset of the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday at the Ralph, his stock clearly will take another huge jump. Let’s say the Bills win Sunday and wind up with six wins. I would consider going with Fitz as my starter the next few seasons and look at drafting a legitimate pass-rusher.
***
I’m the type of person who would rather root for my team instead of against someone else’s, but I must admit I’m enjoying the struggles of MeBron James and the Miami Frigid. The best team money couldn’t buy has lost three straight and is now 8-6. Project that over 82 games, and you get a 44-38 record, which would be a three-game decline from Miami’s record last year with the alleged King.
***
I said all along I would be satisfied to see the Syracuse football team play in the inaugural Pinstripe Bowl Game at the new Yankee Stadium on Dec. 30, and it appears it might play out that way. We’ll know more once the Big East teams finish their league schedules this weekend. This would give Doug Marrone an even stronger foothold in the New Jersey and Long Island recruiting hotbeds. A game there clearly would have special meaning for the Bron-born Marrone, whose grandfather was an usher at the House That Ruth Built.
***
I still believe this Syracuse basketball team will be very good, but they aren’t that good right now, despite a 4-0 record and a much-too-high No. 9 ranking in the national polls. They’re playing extremely uptight and shooting way too many bricks. As I wrote in my column for Channel 8 (www.rochesterhomepage.net), this weekend’s road trip might do them good.
***
As someone who’s covered his share of contract negotiations I’ve never liked it when it’s conducted in the media. Sadly, that’s the approach Derek Jeter’s agent decided to take and, with Brian Cashman firing back that Jeets is free to test the market, things have gotten ugly. I love the Yankees shortstop – he’s been a great clutch performer and a credit to the game – but his massive ego is getting in the way. The ridiculous long-term contract George Steinbrenner gave A-Rod is definitely coming into play here. Jeter wants something in the same ballpark and that has put the Bronx Bombers in a tough spot.
***
You can check out my lovely wife, Beth, in the latest issue of Rochester Woman Magazine. It deals with local morning radio and television show hosts. I know I’m biased, but I think the issue would have been better had my bride been included on the cover as she was in the past.
***
Tis the season to . . . sign books.
I have eight signings scheduled for this holiday season, so if you are looking for some great stocking gifts come on by and grab one of several sports books I have available.
Here’s my sked:
Saturday, November 26 – LiftBridge Book Store, Brockport, 2-4
Sunday, November 27 – Ralph Wilson Field House, 10-noon (before Steelers game)
Saturday, December 4 – Greece Barnes & Noble, 2-4
Saturday, December 11 – Webster Barnes & Noble, 2-4
Sunday, December 12 – Ralph Wilson Field House, 10-noon (before Browns game)
Tuesday, December 14 – Ralph Wilson Stadium gift shop, Orchard Park, 6-7
Saturday, December 18 – Pittsford Barnes & Noble, 2-4
Saturday, December 18 – Bills Store, Eastview Mall, 6-8

No comments: