Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bruce Smith and Michael Phelps are back in the news

So, here I am working on a freelance piece about Bruce Smith going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this August and the news comes across that the former Bills sackmeister has been arrested again for DUI. Arghhhhhhh!

****

I'm not a math genius, but the new Yankee Stadium is on a pace to host 301 home runs this season. Maybe the new nickname should be "The Bandbox the Steinbrenners Built.''

****

If you are looking for a true hero in the world of sports, go to ESPN.com and click on the story about former Oklahoma University basketball star Wayman Tisdale, who just lost a courageous battle with cancer at age 44. Tisdale was an accomplished basketball player and jazz musician, but he was an even better person. To the end, he retained that effervescent personality. His nickname at OU was WWT - Wonderful Wayman Tisdale.

****

Still, having problems keeping our cat Sassy's tail off the keyboard while I type. I guess, on the positive side, it gives me a built-in excuse for any typos.

****

Best developing sports story that nobody knows about? Kansas City Royals pitcher Zack Greinke, who is 7-1 after beating the Baltimore Orioles last night. Zack is so good, he gives up a run and his earn run average goes up from 0.51 to 0.60.

****

Michael Phelps is so good in the pool that he recorded two record-setting wins yesterday despite an 8-month layoff. Even the drag from his new goatee couldn't slow him down.

****

My wife claims I'm a pack rat. I beg to differ. I tell her I'm a curator, but she isn't buying my semantical distinction. As long as I keep the door to my office closed, she's fine with my so-called clutter.

No comments: